In a race resembling an action movie, the race for Delegate seat in District 25 of Prince George’s county has become even more interesting based on the issues and candidates involved. Action films are films based on action sequences, such as fighting, stunts, car chases etc which take precedence over elements like character development or complex plots.
For many years now, Delegate Dereck E. Davis has held the Delegate seat for district 25. He was joined by Delegate Darryl Barnes to represent the same district in the last election. However, we already highlighted in this blog why Delegate Dereck E. Davis should have resigned a long time ago after he created a law to benefit him personally and his wife.
Delegate Darryl Barnes was elected with the help of Rushern Baker III. He therefore represents the interests of the establishment and the crooked lot in the county politics.
Due to conflicts of interest in the Maryland legislature, Delegate Darryl Barnes was appointed last week to be the new Chairman for Education sub committee for Prince George’s County in Annapolis. Mr. Barnes hit the ground running and has since changed the rules of the game which raised the eye brows with many of the voters in the county complaining he has been bribed to screen and keep things under the table. This move to cover up and his engagement in white collar violations has angered many which has led to Ms. Mel Spruil, Wala Blegay, Nick Charles and Kent Roberson to enter the the race for Delegate for proper leadership of the District 25 in prince George’s county.
As a result of the entry of new candidates in Prince George’s County District 25, it’s over for Delegate Dereck E. Davis and Delegate Darryl Barnes!
Prince George’s County police say five teenagers are responsible for a string of robberies targeting cab drivers, including a shooting that left one driver critically injured.
The teens charged are linked to two separate robbery sprees, police said Thursday.
Malik Samuels and Robert Walker, both 17, are charged with the attempted murder of a cab driver.
Police say the cab driver went to the 9000 block of Ballard Lane in Clinton, Maryland, to pick up a fare at 2:35 a.m. Wednesday. When he arrived, the suspects approached him. The teens demanded money and then shot the victim, according to police.
Violent Night in Prince George’s Leaves 1 Dead, 1 Injured
Neighbors found the man lying in the street.
“All of a sudden we heard four or five shots. I got up and look out of the window and then I saw the guy lying on the ground,” said Ronald Currie, a neighbor who called 911.
As Currie looked from his window, he said he saw an act of kindness when it was needed the most.
“He brought a blanket and covered him up with the blanket. It all kind of happened at the same time,” Currie said of the neighbor who came to the aid of the victim.
The victim was taken to the hospital in critical but stable condition.
Two hours later, a cab driver expecting to pick up a customer in the area of Woodlawn Boulevard and Torington Place in Largo encountered the teens.
Both boys got into his cab and demanded money and the car. Police say the teens got away with the cab, and the driver was not hurt.
Three other teens are facing charges in a string of similar robberies. Police say the suspects targeted cab and ride-share drivers during the week of Jan. 15.
In each crime, police say one of the suspects posed as a customer and rode in the victim’s car before the crime was committed.
Jose Ponce-Coreas, 19; Demonte Johnson, 16; and Christian Tejada, 18, have admitted their involvement in the crimes, according to police. All three remain in police custody.
SPRINGDALE, Md. – In a 6-page letter obtained by FOX 5, a group of at least a half-dozen parents allege that coaches bullied, harassed and hazed members of the novice cheer squad at Charles Herbert Flowers High School in Prince George’s County.
The letter outlines allegations of coaches calling students profane names, mismanagement of program fees and physical retribution in the form of extra exercise for students whose parents complained about the practices.
The parents did not speak on the record with FOX 5 for fear of retribution aimed at their daughters, but they chose community activist and Maryland State Senate candidate Everett Browning to speak on their behalf.
“We all understand tough love, understand coaching, but calling a young lady who has come for a cheerleading team, constantly calling her a b***h, constantly calling her other words to her face, calling her dumb, stupid and telling her she’s not good enough to be a part of the program is unacceptable,” said Browning.
The letter also details student complaints about being pushed to exercise to the point of absolute exhaustion.
“[They are] pushing some of these ladies to where they are throwing up and physically sick and ill, and they are threatened not to tell their parents about it because if they do, they are threatened, they will be thrown off the team,” Browning said.
He said when the parent complaints to coaching staff continued, the novice squad was disbanded.
“This has been going on for almost a year and unfortunately when the parents decided to stand up together, the coach decided to disband the team,” Browning said. “So instead of addressing it, they just told these girls you are no longer going to be able to come here and participate.”
Prince George’s County Public Schools spokesperson John White confirmed the school district is investigating the allegations and conducting interviews with staff and students. The principal is in the process of meeting with parents to address their concerns.
“We always want to make sure that our staff and our coaches are treating children with the same respect that they would want to receive and so we take the allegations seriously,” said White. “We have begun to interview students as well as adults in the building to find out exactly what has occurred.”
The parents are asking that the coaches be replaced, their money be accounted for and the school to guarantee their daughters can participate in cheer and be protected from harassment.
UPPER MARLBORO, Md. — Parents in Prince George’s County are calling for Prince George’s County Public School CEO, Dr. Kevin Maxwell, to step down after an independent audit revealed thousands of students had their grades changed to boost graduation rates.
This comes after Governor Larry Hogan held an hour-long meeting with the Prince George’s County NAACP and parents about the audit’s findings.
“The CEO must go! He does not care about our children. The CEO must go!.”, shouted a parent during a news conference following Governor Hogan’s meeting, calling for accountability in the grading scandal that has rocked PGCPS.
“That investigation turned up wide-spread corruption and wrongdoing.”, said Governor Hogan.
An independent audit commissioned by the Maryland State Board of Education found that thousands of graduates from 2016 and 2017 had failing grades for at least one quarter, which were later changed after the cutoff dates.
It further stated that over 150 students graduated in 2017, despite having over 50 absences for the school year.
Yolanda Rogers is a parent with five children who have attended PGCPS schools, of whom three have graduated.
She said the grading scandal has had a huge impact on her kids.
“I have two children that’s graduated with A’s in English, B’s in Math and when they tested in college, they tested for remedial English and remedial Math. That’s problematic for me.”, said Rogers.
Many are now calling for Prince George’s County Executive, Rushern Baker, to get rid of the current chairman and superintendent.
In a statement, John White, spokesperson for PGCPS pointed out that the school system was not invited to today’s meeting, but says Dr. Kevin Maxwell and his leadership team have taken the state audit findings and recommendations very seriously.
PGCPS has until the end of the month to respond to the audit and submit a plan of action.
Officials from Prince George’s County Public Schools have said that an action plan is in the works to improve grading and graduation certification.
County Executive, Rushern Baker could not be reached for comment.
LANDOVER, Md. – A Prince George’s County middle school student says after orientation day at his new school, his bus driver dropped him off at the wrong stop and he was robbed of his new Nike sneakers and cell phone.
The seventh grader’s mother says her son was left at Kenilworth Avenue and Eastern Avenue on Tuesday, which is nearly two miles from their home in Fairmount Heights.
Tameika Jackson didn’t want her 12-year-old son to be identified, but she let him speak with FOX 5 about what happened. He says a group of men approached him soon after he got off the bus.
“This one guy, he came up to me and then he said, ‘Give me your phone and then your shoes,'” the boy said. “And they were at least 20 years old, so I didn’t know what else to do. So I gave them my shoes and my phone. And after that, there was this one girl at the [Metro] bus stop, I walked up to her and asked her if I could use the phone to call my mom.”
The boy said he had told the bus driver where he lived, but was dropped off there anyway. Jackson says she is furious.
“I picked him up, he was barefoot, no shoes on,” she said. “And there was a bunch of junkies out there. He was upset, he was shaking and I just told him everything was going to be fine, but I will get to the bottom of it. And I brought him home. He says he doesn’t want to go back to school tomorrow.”
Jackson says she called FOX 5 because she couldn’t reach anyone at G. James Gholson Middle School in Landover where her son attends.
A Prince George’s County Public Schools spokesperson says they are now investigating what happened and alerted the school’s principal to the situation.
The principal later called Jackson and apologized, saying she will personally make sure the boy is on the correct bus headed to the correct location on Wednesday and in the days to come. The transportation director also contacted Jackson by phone Tuesday night.
Jackson says she never got bus information in the mail prior to the start of school, so her son’s father drove the boy to school Tuesday and spoke to school staff about which bus he was supposed to be on.
She says the child got on the bus he was told to ride. Jackson says she has an older child who attended Gholson and he got dropped off at a bus stop two blocks from their home.
“I’m to the point now that I don’t want to go to work the rest of the week because I want to make sure that he feels comfortable getting on the bus and getting off the bus,” Jackson said.
School officially starts on Wednesday in Prince George’s County, but some students had orientation on Tuesday.
An African American state senator from Maryland wants to censure Senate President Thomas V. Mike Miller Jr. for his defense of Supreme Court Chief Justice Roger B. Taney, author of the infamous Dred Scott decision, whose statue was removed from the State House grounds last week.
Sen. C. Anthony Muse (D-Prince George’s), who is running for county executive in 2018 and would give up his Senate seat if he won, said the legislative chamber needs to send “an unequivocal message” to Miller (D-Calvert) that it does not agree with his support of Taney. The justice’s 1857 opinion said blacks could not be U.S. citizens and had no rights other than those given by whites.
“In light of the tragic and violent events in Charlottesville and concerns about promoting and inciting a climate of racial hatred and division in our nation, I would hope that the majority of my colleagues will join me in strongly rebuking the senate president’s remarks as well as those expressed by President Trump and others who would defend what Justice Taney stood for,” Muse, who introduced a measure to remove the statue last year, said in a statement.
Jake Weissman, a spokesman for Miller, declined to comment.
Miller, the longest-serving Senate president in the country, is a member of the Maryland State House Trust, the four-member panel that voted 3 to 0 last week to remove the 145-year-old statue. The 46-year lawmaker, who has long defended the statue as an important piece of Maryland history, refused to vote.
He sent a letter to Gov. Larry Hogan (R) arguing that the panel, which traditionally votes by email, should have held a public meeting to discuss removing the statue.
Miller, an avid reader of history, also defended Taney’s character, describing him as a man with a “complex” past.
“Unlike George Washington who freed his slaves upon his death, Taney freed his slaves early in his life,” the letter said.
“Roger Brooke Taney was not a Confederate officer and he remained loyal to the Union until his death in 1864,” Miller wrote. “Many historians have debated the conflicting anti-slavery words and works of Roger Brooke Taney.”
Miller said he agreed with an 1864 editorial in the New York Times that Taney’s decision, “wrong as it was, did not spring from a corrupt or malignant heart.”
Via Washington Post